youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Thursday, August 15, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 14 - Gambino


Gambino is the family dog. He inspired this piece.


GAMBINO
Scene - A Waiting Room
Interior. CINDY greets ANNIE, LINK and GAMBINO.
CINDY
Hi kids. Thanks for coming.
ANNIE
Of course Aunt Cindy.
CINDY
Okay, we'll see Annie first; you two just have a seat okay.
LINK 
Yeah sure.
ANNIE goes into the audition room. LINK and GAMBINO sit down. LINK goes through his iPad. GAMBINO looks on.
GAMBINO
Hmmmm.... what's a Grindr?
LINK
It's an app to meet other gay men.
GAMBINO
Oh. Pretty cool.
GAMBINO is still looking on, irritating LINK.
LINK
Why did your mother need us again?
GAMBINO
The kids she originally cast in the commercial caught the flu in Florida.
LINK
Lucky us.
GAMBINO
Yeah. Yeah.
GAMBINO looks on at LINK's Grindr again.
LINK
What are you doing here?
GAMBINO
What? I can't spend time with my cousins now?
GAMBINO rustles LINK's hair. LINK pushes GAMBINO off of him.
LINK
Get off of me. Watch the hair.
GAMBINO
Such a pansy.
LINK
Shut up.
TOM enters. Excited to be alive.
TOM
Is this where auditions are?
GAMBINO looks on and is a little dumbfounded. LINK is still on his Grindr App.
GAMBINO
Um?
LINK looks up and puts his iPad away at the sight of TOM.
LINK
Yes.
TOM
Great.
TOM takes a seat next to LINK. 
TOM
I am so nervous. I hate acting auditions. I'm more of a singer and a dancer. 
LINK
You can relax. My aunt's the casting director. She's awesome. You don't have to memorize a monologue or anything like that.
TOM
Wow really?
LINK
Yeah she just asks you a bunch of questions and has you cold read from a script. Just be you.
TOM
Oh what a relief. I hate putting on an act.
TOM tries to sit still but ends up twiddling his fingers and crossing his legs.
LINK
You seem anxious.
TOM
I am. I really am. I am so nervous.
LINK
Don't be nervous. Aunt Cindy's goofy. You'll be fine.
TOM
Really? You think so?
LINK
Yeah.
TOM looks at LINK. LINK looks back. It's very sweet.
TOM
I hate waiting.
LINK
Look, I'm up next, but you can go before me.
TOM
Yeah?
LINK
Yeah.
TOM
Are you sure?
LINK
Yes.
TOM
Oh thank you. That really is a load off.
TOM puts his hand on LINK. ANNIE enters.
ANNIE
Link, you're up.
LINK
Oh no, Tom is up.
ANNIE
Tom?
TOM
Hi, I'm Tom.
TOM puts his hand out to shake ANNIE's hand. She slowly shakes his hand.
ANNIE
I... nice to meet you. You're up.
TOM
Okay.
TOM exits. ANNIE sits down next to LINK.
ANNIE
Who was that?
LINK
That was Tom.
ANNIE
Cute guy.
Pause
GAMBINO
Link was flirting with him.
LINK
I was not.
GAMBINO
Oh he so was.
LINK
Shut up Gambino.
ANNIE (TO LINK)
Do you like him?
Pause
LINK 
If he likes me, I do.
ANNIE
Oh Link. 
TOM enters.
TOM
Hey Link, you're up.
LINK
Thanks.
LINK gets up exits.
TOM
Have fun. I had fun.
TOM sits down next to GAMBINO and ANNIE. ANNIE is on her phone. TOM is going through an audition form. GAMBINO is staring at TOM for a moment. And then:
GAMBINO
She's my mom.
TOM
Excuse me?
GAMBINO
Cindy Zinoni. The casting director. She's my mom.
TOM
Yeah? So, you're Link's cousin?
GAMBINO
Yeah. Annie is too. 
ANNIE
Hi. I'm Annie.
TOM
Hi. Looks like it's a family business. I don't stand a chance.
Pause
GAMBINO
I bet you did great. In the... in the room. I bet you did fine.
TOM
Thank you.
Pause
GAMBINO
My mom... you know... she'll cast you.
TOM takes a look at GAMBINO and eyes him a little confused.
TOM
And are you going to put in a good word for me?
GAMBINO
Ummm... yes.
TOM
Thank you.
ANNIE (TO HERSELF)
What in the world am I witnessing?
TOM
I have to get going, can I give you my number?
GAMBINO
Uh... what?
TOM
For Link. I'd really like to see him again.
TOM takes out a card and hands it to GAMBINO.
GAMBINO
Oh? Yeah. Sure.
TOM
Thank you. 
TOM
Nice to meet you Annie.
TOM exits.
ANNIE
Bye Tom.
ANNIE crosses her arms.
ANNIE
Oh Gambino.
GAMBINO
What?
ANNIE
You are so cute.
GAMBINO
Why are you saying that?
ANNIE
Gambino, I've known you since you were a baby. You like that boy.
GAMBINO
What? No! I mean yeah, I like him. He's cool.
ANNIE sits closer.
ANNIE
You like him, like how Link likes him.
GAMBINO
What?
ANNIE
I've known about you for a while.
GAMBINO
About what?
ANNIE
You were flirting with that boy. Unsuccessfully. It's okay.
GAMBINO
It's not. I'm not. Shut up Annie.
ANNIE
We're family. We love you okay. Now, are you going to give Link that number?
GAMBINO (RELUCTANTLY)
...yes...
LINK enters. 
LINK
Okay. All done. Can we go now?
ANNIE
Yes. Let's go.
LINK and ANNIE get up. GAMBINO stays sitting down.
LINK
You coming?
GAMBINO
No. I think I'll stay. I should talk to my mom or something.
LINK 
Okay.
LINK is about to leave but ANNIE stops him.
ANNIE (TO GAMBINO)
Is there something you want to give Link?
GAMBINO
No.
ANNIE
Gambino?
GAMBINO gets up and hands LINK the card with TOM's phone number. 
GAMBINO
Here.
LINK takes the card from GAMBINO and inspects it.
LINK
What is this?
GAMBINO
That guy Tom. It's his phone number. He wants you to call him.
LINK
Oh. Nice.
GAMBINO
Tell him I said hi.
LINK
Yeah. Sure.
LINK and ANNIE starts to head out. ANNIE whispers something to LINK and points to GAMBINO.
LINK
You're kidding.
ANNIE
No.
GAMBINO
Stop talking about me.
LINK (TO GAMBINO)
I'll for sure tell him you said hi.
GAMBINO smiles and exits.
GAMBINO (OFFSTAGE)
Mom. Mom are you here?
CINDY (OFFSTAGE)
Yeah. What's up?
Scene - Audition Room
CINDY sits facing the stage. CINDY, LINK, GAMBINO and TOM are at lined up in front of her.
CINDY
What do you want to be when you grow up?
ANNIE
I want to dance forever, and be a lawyer.
LINK
I just want to be known for being unknown.
TOM
A lounge singer.
GAMBINO
I just want to make you proud.
CINDY
If you could change the world, what would you change?
ANNIE
I wish race could stop being an issue with so many people.
LINK
I want gay marriage, to just be marriage.
TOM
I want don't want it to be an issue when I hold my boyfriend's hand.
GAMBINO
I'd want to introduce you to a future boyfriend and not have you freak out.
CINDY
What legacy would you want to leave in this world?
ANNIE
I want to leave behind the thought that love is contagious. 
LINK
I want to leave behind the thought that hate is contagious.
TOM
I guess I would want to put forward the thought that music is the international language, and not math.
GAMBINO
That I'm always going to be me, no matter what anyone says.
CINDY
How does society define you?
ANNIE
Sassy ballet girl.
LINK
Emo kid.
TOM
Happy perky person.
CINDY
How do you define yourself?
ANNIE
Ballet girl, with brains. But don't they all have brains?
LINK
I'm a performer. An artist.
TOM
A happy perky person.
GAMBINO doesn't answer.
CINDY (REPEATING THE QUESTION)
Gambino? How do you define yourself?
GAMBINO smiles.
FADE OUT




No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun