youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Friday, August 9, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 8 - Theo


THEO

SCENE - MORTAY MANOR

Exterior. Afternoon. Cloudy. A taxi parks in front of the
gates of the grand manor. THEA (GALATHEA) exits the taxi.
The CAB DRIVER gets her two luggage out of the trunk.

CAB DRIVER
Fancy people. Do you live here?

THEA
I used to.

CAB DRIVER
Nice. Is the prodigal daughter
returning home?

THEA
I guess you can say that. I was
adopted when I was a baby. When my
adoptive parents died, I decided to
search for my birth parents. That
search has led me here.

CAB DRIVER
That's heavy lady.

THEA
It is much to deal with.

INGMAR and DANIEL enter through the gates of the manor
unbeknownst to THEA and CAB DRIVER.

CAB DRIVER
40 bucks.

THEA
Of course.

DANIEL
You must be Galathea.

THEA
Yes. I go by Thea.

DANIEL
No need to pay the man. I've got
it.

THEA
Thank you.

DANIEL takes 40 dollars out of his pocket and hands it over
to CAB DRIVER.

CAB DRIVER
Have a nice day.

THEA
Thank you.

CAB DRIVER gets in the taxi and drives away.

DANIEL
You have my nose. You have your
mother's eyes.

THEA (LOOKING AT INGMAR)
I do.

INGMAR
I'm not your mother.

DANIEL
This is Ingmar, the manor's
caretaker. Your mother hasn't been
feeling well for years. At night
you can hear her screams.

INGMAR takes THEA's luggages as they head towards the
entrance of Mortay Manor. 

THEA
That's horrifying.

DANIEL
You get used to it sadly.

Interior. DANIEL has led INGMAR and THEA into the mansion.
It is lit only by the light from the outside. It's glum.

THEA
What drove her mad?

DANIEL
I think it's best not to dwell on
that. 

DANIEL starts to lead THEA upstairs, INGMAR behind with
the luggage.

THEA
Do I call you dad? Father?

DANIEL
You can call me Daniel. I am glad
to see you, and I am technically
your father, but you don't have to
call me that if you don't wish. 

THEA
I will call you Daniel.

DANIEL
And I will treat you as a family.

They have reached the grand door that leads into DINAH's
chambers.

DANIEL
I'm glad you found us Thea. Maybe
contact with you will help bring my
precious Dinah back to us. (to
INGMAR) Ingmar, put Thea's things
in her room. 

INGMAR takes THEA's bags and exits.

DANIEL 
Thea, come with me. We're going to
meet your mother. 

DANIEL opens the grand door. The bedroom is huge and the bed
is even bigger. It almost dwarves DINAH, who lays in bed,
almost still. She's very pale.

DANIEL (TO DINAH)
Darling, someone is here to meet
you.

DINAH looks at THEA. She smiles and responds slowly. She
hasn't talked in days.

DINAH
You. You've come back to us. My
Galathea.

THEA
Hello mother.

DINAH
You haven't changed at all. You're
my baby. (A moment of realization
and then a change in tone. Panic)
You have to get out of here! You
have to get out of here Thea!
Please! Leave!

DANIEL grabs THEA rushes her out of the room. He closes and
locks the door. 

THEA
What is wrong?

DANIEL
Pay no mind to what she says.

THEA
Why is she telling me to leave.

DANIEL
She's not all there. But this was
the most progress we've seen in her
in years.

THEA looks towards DINAH's door, highly concerned.

SCENE - THEA'S ROOM

DINAH's screams can be heard. THEA sits in her bed, her
luggage near her unpacked. She's on her phone talking to
LIZ. 

THEA
Hello Liz. Hi it's Thea. Yeah. It's
getting weird here. Do you think
you can pick me up? I know. I do
plan to try some other time. I just
can't do this right now. Thanks
Liz. I'll wait outside.

SCENE - THE HALLWAY

THEA takes her luggage and starts to head towards the exit.
DINAH's screams are being heard. A deep moaning and banging
starts to make a presence alongside DINAH's screams.

THEA
What in the world.

Everything starts to get loud. THEA runs out of the door.

SCENE - OUTSIDE OF MORTAY MANOR

THEA keeps running, getting as far away from the mansion as
she can. A car appears outside of the gates. The car parks,
and LIZ exits the car.

THEA
Liz!!!

THEA embraces LIZ.

LIZ
Thea what's wrong?

THEA
We need to get out of here. The
family is sweet, but they are so
out of touch with the world. My
mother screams every night and I
hear banging and moaning in the
basement.

LIZ
Where the hell do you come from?

LIZ approaches the door of the mansion.

THEA
Liz, let's just leave.

LIZ
Okay fine, let's get out of here. 

The moaning is heard, as well as a crash and slam.

LIZ
What is that?

THEA
We're getting out of here. I'll
visit them again real soon, with
bodyguards.

LIZ sees something at the distance. A huge figure is near
her car.

LIZ
Thea what is that?

THEA
I have no idea.

The figure punches at the car, and it moves an inch.

LIZ
Thea run.

LIZ and THEA run towards the door, and are startled to find
INGMAR standing there.

INGMAR
What is going on? 

INGMAR sees the figure behind the girls running towards
them. 

INGMAR
Get in. 

LIZ and THEA run in the house as INGMAR quickly slams the
door shut, but the figure slams it open, breaking the door.
INGMAR runs towards the girls. THEA and LIZ get a good look
at what's attacking them. A really tall and wide creature
with an ungodly face and body.

INGMAR
Run ladies. Run!!!

INGMAR, THEA and LIZ hide behind a stone statue in the dark.
It is hard for the figure to find them in the dark,

THEA (WHISPERING)
Liz, I'm sorry I got you into this.
I'm going to distract it. I want
you to take Ingmar and get out of
her.

LIZ
What?

GALATHEA
Just do it. AHHHHH!!!!!!!

THEA runs across the mansion. The figure follows her.

LIZ
Run lady!

LIZ and INGMAR exit out the door and into LIZ' car.

THEA finds herself in the kitchen, searching for a weapon.
Any weapon. She finally finds a giant meat cleaver. She
turns around and strikes the figure on the head. He slaps
her across the face, knocking her out.

THEA
There's got to be something.
There's got to be...

She finally finds a giant meat cleaver. She turns around and
strikes the figure on the head. He yells in pain then slaps
her across the face, knocking her out.

SCENE - LIZ' CAR

LIZ is driving away from the mansion. INGMAR is in the
passenger seat.

LIZ
What is that thing?

INGMAR
That thing is Galathea's brother.

LIZ
What? That thing is human?

INGMAR
Not anymore. Theodore was never
right in the head. No matter what
Dinah and Daniel did, they couldn't
control him. It's why they had to
give up their baby girl for
adoption. 

LIZ
They were worried for her safety?
It was that bad?

INGMAR
Being a Doctor, Daniel tried to
treat Theodore's mental illness on
his own, but in doing so, he made
him worse. All the drugs and
unnatural surgeries turned him into
that thing you just saw. 

LIZ
Dear God.

INGMAR
It got a point where the doctor put
Theodore under a deep coma.  He
didn't have the heart to kill his
son. He wasn't supposed to wake up.
The return of his sister probably
woke him up.

LIZ does a U turn back to the mansion.

INGMAR
We can't help them.

LIZ
Well we can't call the police now,
can we?

SCENE - INSIDE MORTAY MANOR

DTHEA is unconscious on the ground. DANIEL comes downstairs,
looks around, sees THEA and comes to her aid.

DANIEL
Thea. Oh dear God. We're going to
get you to a hospital. 

THEA's eyes slowly open as she gets up with DANIEL. DINAH
has unknowingly appeared behind them.

DANIEL
Dinah?

DINAH
He's woken up. I told you to leave.
I told you to leave.

DANIEL
We need to get out of here.

DANIEL takes DINAH's hand and they're all about to head out,
but THEO appears at the front of the door.

DINAH
My baby wants to play.

DINAH runs towards THEO.

DANIEL
Dinah no.

THEO smacks DINAH to the ground. DANIEL and THEA run towards
the garage and lock the door behind them. THEO starts
banging violently on the door. DANIEL presses the button to
open the garage, but THEO's violent banging short circuits
the door and it barely opens.

THEA
Shit!

DANIEL
Crawl under. Hurry. He's breaking
through.

THEA successfully crawls under the crack in the door. DANIEL
tries to but gets stuck. The entrance that THEO is banging
on is starting to give way

THEA
Come on.

THEA grabs onto DANIEL's wrists, trying to get him out.

THEA
Come on.

DANIEL
I'm stuck.

THEA
Oh God. No.

LIZ drives up. INGMAR and LIZ exit and rush towards DANIEL.

THEA
Liz, Ingmar. Help!

INGMAR
Daniel.

INGMAR and LIZ take hold of the garage door and lift it
enough for DANIEL to crawl out from under it. As soon as
he's on his feet, THEO has made his way out of the garage
and is now banging and denting the garage door.

THEA
Get in the car! Get in the car!

LIZ, INGMAR, THEA and DANIEL get in the car and drive off.
LIZ in the driver seat.

SCENE - THEA'S CAR

LIZ is in the driver's seat with THEA in the passenger seat.
DANIEL is in the back with INGMAR

DANIEL
Wait, let me out.

THEA
What?

DANIEL
I can't let it out into the world.
Let me out.

LIZ stops the car and DANIEL runs out of the car and back to
the mansion.

THEA
Daniel wait!

LIZ
Thea no.

THEA
He's my family.

LIZ
You are in no shape. I'll go.

LIZ starts to exit the car.

THEA
Wait, but...

LIZ
I promise I will bring your father
back with me, alive.

LIZ runs out and towards the mansion, behind DANIEL.

THEA
Liz.

THEA exits the car to go follow them, but INGMAR stops her.

INGMAR
Galathea, please get in.

THEA thinks for a moment, then stays in the car with INGMAR.

SCENE - INSIDE THE TOOL SHED

DANIEL and LIZ are looking for weapons.

DANIEL
I take it your friend of
Galathea's?

LIZ
Not now Mr. Mortay. We need to kill
that thing. You don't have guns do
you?

DANIEL
I don't believe in violence.

The shed starts shaking violently. Sharp and heavy objects
flying all over the place. A pair of shears stabs DANIEL in
the shoulder and he goes down.

LIZ
Mr. Mortay!

LIZ grabs a shovel and runs out of the shed and starts
bludgeoning THEO. THEO runs, moaning in pain. DANIEL
struggles out of the shed, bleeding. THEO takes hold of the
shovel and throws LIZ against a tree. He's about to hit LIZ
with the shovel, but LIZ rolls away in time and the shovel's
hit gets it stuck to the tree. LIZ continues to run. THEO
behind her. DINAH appears and sees the whole thing
happening. THEO grabs LIZ by her throat and lifts her off of
the ground. DINAH grabs the shears from DANIEL's shoulder
and stabs THEO hard in the back. He drops LIZ. He dies.

SCENE - FINALE

THEA and INGMAR are sitting outside of the car. DANIEL,
DINAH and LIZ slowly approach them. THEA runs up to her
family and embraces them.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun