youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Saturday, August 24, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 23 - Casting

CASTING
Scene - The Auditorium 1
COLIN stands on the stage. SAM, CURTIS, KAREN and CLARK are among the students in the seats.
COLIN
Thank you everyone for auditioning for this year's production of Grease. The cast list will be up tomorrow in time for lunch. See you tomorrow if you're cast. (to SAM) Sam can I talk to you?
CURTIS, KAREN and CLARK exit. 
SAM
Yeah sure.
SAM joins COLIN onstage. 
COLIN
I know you think you're not like most people. That no one understands you because you're different.
SAM
You have no idea.
COLIN
I do. Sam I know you're secret. 
SAM
What?
COLIN
I know what you've been hiding from the school, from your friends, sometimes from yourself...
SAM
How could you know that?
COLIN
Because I have the same secret you do.
SAM
You do?
COLIN
I do?
SAM 
You do.
COLIN
Yes. We come from a thousand years of our kind.
SAM 
I had no idea you were gay too.
COLIN
What?
SAM
That's what we're talking about right?
COLIN
No.
SAM
Oh?
COLIN
I was talking about... about this...
COLIN uses magic to produce a magic orb that floats around during the scene.
SAM
Oh. We're magic doers.
COLIN
Well, we've been calling it witches.
SAM
Witches? Like wiccans?
COLIN
Well... no.
SAM
I've done research on our kind, we have more in common with fairies than with witches. We should just say we're fairies and call it a day.
The orb vanishes.
COLIN
We can do that. But look, I've been noticing you've been doing some spells on fellow students.
SAM
That's a lie. I've just been doing it on one student. 
COLIN
Would this one student be Clark Julius?
SAM
Yes. How did you guess?
COLIN
Because yesterday he was one of the most physically fit students on our football team. Today at auditions, he looked like a walking bee sting.
SAM
I heard he was allergic to bees.
COLIN
Sam, you can't do that. When we cast a spell, the universe returns that energy back to us, no matter what it is. 
SAM
Well, Clark gave me a broken heart, so I turned him into how I felt. That's balanced right?
COLIN
You felt like a bloated jock?
SAM
He made me feel ugly. So I made him ugly.
COLIN
I know you're hurting, but magic isn't always the answer. In fact, magic is never the answer.
SAM
Then why do we have it?
COLIN
That's a huge question for another time.
SAM
No really. We have all these powers. We have all these spells. Shouldn't you tell me to use them for the good of mankind.
COLIN
As your teacher, all I can tell you is to be responsible. You have power. Don't abuse it. Power also comes from showing restraint.
SAM
What's the point if no one knows?
COLIN
You'll know. See you tomorrow. Don't forget to check out the cast list tomorrow.
Scene - Hallway
The lockers at school. A cast list has been posted. KAREN and CLARK enter and read it.
KAREN
The cast list is up.
CLARK
Oh check it out. Danny Zuko.
SAM enters.
KAREN
And I'm Sandy. This is going to be totes fun.
KAREN and CLARK exit. CLARK gives SAM a look.
SAM (MOCKING KAREN
Totes? 
SAM reads the cast list. CURTIS enters.
SAM
Nice, I'm Doody.
CURTIS
Awww man, I wanted Doody.
SAM turns and sees CURTIS. He likes what he sees.
SAM
I'm sorry.
CURTIS
No it's okay. 
CURTIS reads the cast list.
CURTIS
It looks like I'm cast anyway, as Eugene.
SAM
That's not bad. I like guys in glasses.
CURTIS
Oh? It's just he doesn't get a song.
SAM
You want a song?
CURTIS
I like singing.
SAM
I'm not sure we've met. I'm Sam.
SAM extends a hand out for CURTIS. 
CURTIS
Curtis. 
SAM
Well Curtis, I will see you after school for rehearsal.
CURTIS
Cool.
CURTIS exits.
SAM
Totes.
Scene - School Auditorium
SAM is on the stage reading a spell book, illuminated by a mystical orb that he has conjured up. 
SAM (TO THE ORB)
Okay, where is that spell? Here it is. Wish granting. Curtis wants a song in Grease, we'll give him a song in Grease. 
COLIN enters.
COLIN
What are you doing?
SAM (SHOCKED)
Studying.
COLIN walks up to SAM and reads the title of his book. SAM continues reading and talking to COLIN.
COLIN
The Book of Wish Grants?
SAM
Yes. So?
COLIN
Sam, that book has serious consequences.
SAM
You said that there's a balance to everything right?
COLIN
Yes.
SAM
Well, as long as I do a spell that's balanced, I'll be fine.
COLIN
This book is dangerous. It's almost evil. Where did you get this book?
SAM
From you? 
COLIN
Oh? Not cool dude. Not cool.
SAM 
Do you have 3 stems from a Starberry Blossom.
COLIN
Look, if you're going to do it, I guess it would be better if you did it under adult supervision.
SAM (SARCASTIC)
Oh really? Like if I'm going to drink you'd rather have me do it in the house?
COLIN
Do you want me to help?
SAM 
Yes sure. (sarcastic) Because you're not a regular mom, you're a cool mom.
COLIN
Cut it or no Starberry Stems for you.
COLIN and SAM exit with the book and the illuminating orb.
Scene - The Auditorium 2
TINA and SAM are sitting in the seats. CLARK and KAREN are sitting on the stage. 
TINA
I can't believe what Clark did you.
SAM
Just cool it. I'm fine.
TINA
Wasn't he fatter a few days ago?
SAM
Yeah. Can't believe you got cast as Frenchie.
TINA
I know, fun huh?
SAM
Yeah. 
CURTIS enters and sits alone with a script. He looks anxious.
CURTIS
Look it's Curtis.
TINA
Oh.
SAM
He's so dreamy. Oh he's sitting alone. He's playing Eugene.
TINA
Of course he is.
SAM approaches CURTIS. TINA trails behind.
SAM
Curtis, hi.
CURTIS
Hi Sam.
SAM
First rehearsal, exciting huh?
CURTIS
Oh yeah.
SAM
Yeah.
TINA
Hi I'm Tina. I'm playing Frenchie.
CURTIS
Hey there.
SAM
So, has anything big happened to you today?
CURTIS
Nothing big. Why?
COLIN enters with a stack of scripts. 
SAM
You sure nothing major happened. Like... with a solo.
CURTIS sees COLIN.
CURTIS
Oh that reminds me.
CURTIS approaches COLIN.
SAM
Nice.
CURTIS (TO COLIN)
Mr. Raven.
COLIN
Curtis.
CURTIS
Can I talk to you in private.
COLIN
Yeah sure.
CURTIS
I'm really happy I get to play Eugene, but I also really want to sing in this show. So I was wondering if I can insert a song somewhere in the show for Eugene to sing.
COLIN
I'm listening.
CURTIS
In the underrated sequel, Grease 2, the character of Michael sings a song called Charades and I think it will fit perfectly with the Eugene character around this part of the scene. (shows COLIN a saved page of his script) It doesn't pull focus and it actually helps with a set change as well as a costume change. 
COLIN
I don't agree.
SAM
What?
COLIN
but what you presented was very well thought out. How about we rehearse with it and see what we can work with.
CURTIS
Thank you. 
COLIN
No problem.
COLIN exits. CLARK approaches CURTIS. KAREN trailing behind. SAM and TINA watch the proceedings.
CLARK (SARCASTIC AND MEAN)
That's nice Curtis. Asking Raven to give you special treatment. But, you really should just accept that I'm the star, and you're the dweeb.
KAREN
Clark stop.
CLARK
What?
KAREN pulls CLARK away and scolds him on the other side of the stage.
TINA
That jerk. I can't believe he's our lead.
SAM
Yeah, someone should teach him a lesson.
SAM conjures up a bee magically from his hand. TINA is unaware. The bee starts flying in CLARK's face. He freaks out long enough to look crazy and exits, with the bee chasing him.
SAM
Nice.
Scene - The Auditorium 3
SAM is back in the auditorium later that night with a new book of spells. The dark hall illuminated by an orb of light he has conjured up.

SAM (TO THE ORB)
Nice. This is exactly what I need. And now I need to get exactly what I need for this spell to work. What in the world is a Moontree?
COLIN enters. SAM is shocked, again.
COLIN
I knew you stole one of my books.
SAM
Mister Colins, you scared me.
COLIN reads the title of the book.
COLIN
Love Spells this time?
SAM
Yes, now get me some Moontree.
COLIN
No. Have you just tried asking him out?
SAM
I'm shy.
COLIN
You're a performer, perform. You don't need magic.
SAM
It got Curtis the solo right?
COLIN
Not exactly.
SAM
Of course it did. He got one.
COLIN
He got that solo because of his own hard work. Your spell had nothing to do with it.
SAM
Yes it did. You did the spell with me.
COLIN
Yeah, I botched it on purpose. 
SAM
You botched my spell?
COLIN
And look, Curtis now has a solo, and that was without magic.
SAM
What if he doesn't like me.
COLIN
And what if he does like you? If you're true to yourself, all should fall into place. 
SAM
You're not going to help me huh?
COLIN
No. 
COLIN takes his book back and exits.
Scene - The Steps of School
CURTIS stands alone after school. SAM enters and slowly approaches him.
SAM
Hey.
CURTIS
Hi.
SAM
I notice you always walk home alone. Can I join you?
CURTIS
It's okay.
SAM
Okay.
SAM starts to leave.
CURTIS (CONFUSED)
Where are you going?
SAM stops and comes back to CURTIS.
SAM
Oh. You mean, it's okay, walk me. 
CURTIS
Yes.
SAM 
I thought you mean, it's okay, bye bye.
SAM and CURTIS have a laugh and awkward silence.
SAM
Let's go.
CURTIS
Okay.
SAM and CURTIS exit together.
Scene - On the Way Home
CURTIS and SAM are in the suburbs. 
CURTIS
I thought it was really funny when Clark was attacked by that bee yesterday.
SAM
He deserved it.
CURTIS
Yeah. I don't like him.
SAM
Me neither. He kind of hurt me real bad?
CURTIS
Did he beat you up.
SAM
Just my heart.
CURTIS
Oh. I'm sorry.
SAM
Yeah. Hey, do you want to get together sometime? To go over lines?
CURTIS
Yeah. I would love to go over lines.
SAM
Really?
CURTIS
Yeah.
SAM
What are you doing right now?
CURTIS
I'm not free.
SAM
Oh.
CURTIS
I can make myself free though.
SAM
Oh okay.
CURTIS
Come on.
SAM
Yeah. Let's go.
SAM and CURTIS exit. COLIN enters.
COLIN
Now that's magic.
END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun