youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Thursday, August 29, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 29 - After Ever After

AFTER EVER AFTER
Scene - The Forest
SNOW WHITE wanders alone in the forest, tattered and out of breath, when a carriage passes her by. CINDERELLA is in it.
CINDERELLA
Hi sweetie, do you need a ride?
SNOW WHITE
Yes. Please.
CINDERELLA
Come on in.
SNOW WHITE enters the carriage. 
SNOW WHITE
Thank you so much.
CINDERELLA
You look like you've been through a lot. What's your story?
SNOW WHITE
You wouldn't understand.
CINDERELLA
Really? And how could you possibly know that?
SNOW WHITE
Did you have a stepmother who tried to kill you?
CINDERELLA
Kinda?
SNOW WHITE
Really?
CINDERELLA
Yeah.
SNOW WHITE
Oh wow. I'm sorry.
CINDERELLA
Oh I'm fine. I got out of there. Now I help my husband rule a whole kingdom.
SNOW WHITE
Wow.
CINDERELLA
See, we have more in common with each other than you think. Everyone has a story. Where do you want my carriage to take you?
SNOW WHITE
I really don't know. When my stepmother tried to kill me, I went to live with some dwarfs. She then found me and put a sleeping spell on me.
CINDERELLA
Oh no.
SNOW WHITE
What?
CINDERELLA
Sleeping spells are the number one cause for divorce.
SNOW WHITE 
You don't say.
CINDERELLA
I do say.
SNOW WHITE
Well that's what happened. A prince kissed me, we got married, and now we are divorced. I'm going back to live with my friends.
CINDERELLA
That's nice. Where are these friends?
SNOW WHITE
I don't know. The woods aren't exactly organized properly.
CINDERELLA
That is true. You could get lost out there. (looks out the window and sees ROSE) She looks lost.
SNOW WHITE
Who?
The carriage stops. SNOW WHITE and CINDERELLA go towards ROSE who is picking flowers.
SNOW WHITE
Hey, are you okay?
ROSE
Oh I'm fine. I'm just picking flowers for my bouquet. I'm getting married.
CINDERELLA
Oh that's nice. Who is he?
ROSE
Some guy.
CINDERELLA
That's fine and all sweetie, but where's the church.
ROSE
I don't know. It might be down that way.
SNOW WHITE (WHISPERING TO CINDERELLA)
Do you see anything down that way?
CINDERELLA (WHISPERING TO SNOW WHITE)
Just air.
SNOW WHITE (WHISPERING TO CINDERELLA)
The same stuff that's probably in her head.
CINDERELLA (TO ROSE)
Sweetie, do you need us to give you a ride to the church.
ROSE
Oh no. My prince will come.
SNOW WHITE (TO CINDERELLA)
She's clearly crazy.
ROSE
It's been real nice meeting you ladies.
ROSE gets up with her bouquet.
SNOW WHITE
Where are you going?
ROSE
Off into the forest. I have more flowers to pick.
ROSE exits into the forest.
SNOW WHITE
Should we leave her?
CINDERELLA
Of course not. She could get hurt.
SNOW WHITE
She's not listening to us though.
CINDERELLA
I know, but I'm reminded of one of my stepsisters. She was younger than me and I always felt a need to protect her no matter how dopey she was.
ROSE screams.
SNOW WHITE
Oh no.
SNOW WHITE runs into the forest towards ROSE. She finds ROSE in shock and in horror as RAPUNZEL lies on the ground, ready to give birth.
SNOW WHITE
What's wrong.
ROSE
There's something coming out of her.
CINDERELLA arrives on the scene.
SNOW WHITE 
Oh my God. Cinderella she's giving birth.
CINDERELLA
Okay, we can do this. I helped my stepmother give birth to my sisters. 
CINDERELLA goes down to help RAPUNZEL.
CINDERELLA
What's your name?
RAPUNZEL
Rapunzel.
CINDERELLA
Rapunzel we're going to help you.
ROSE
Is she dying?
SNOW WHITE
Yes. This is how my mother died.
CINDERELLA
No ladies. Childbirth is not a death sentence. You're going to be all right. Now push.
ROSE
Oh I can't watch.
RAPUNZEL screams.
Scene - Cinderella's Castle
Interior. A hallway. ANA and RONAN enter.
ANA
Mama? Mama?
RONAN
The castle is so huge. 
ANA
We're not supposed to wander alone. We'll get lost.
RONAN
We can't find anyone. 
RAPUNZEL enters.
RAPUNZEL
Children?
ANA
Mama?
RONAN
I told her not to wander.
ANA
Liar.
RAPUNZEL
Kids, kids. Please. Let's behave. I think your aunts are waiting for us in the dinning hall for lunch.
RONAN
Yay, lunch.
RAPUNZEL leads her children to the dining hall. CINDERELLA, SNOW WHITE and ROSE await her. 
CINDERELLA
Hello Rapunzel.
SNOW WHITE
Yeah finally.
ROSE
Don't listen to her Rapunzel. Snow is just mad at our rule to wait for everyone to be present at the table before we all eat.
SNOW WHITE
Why do we do that?
CINDERELLA
Because it keeps us all as a family. It always us time to eat, and spend time together. 
ANA
Can Snow White tell us a story?
RONAN
Yeah, tell us a story. She has cool stories.
ROSE
Can I tell you kids a story?
ANA
Yeah sure.
RONAN
Yeah.
RAPUNZEL
Rose, maybe you shouldn't.
SNOW WHITE
No let her. Let her.
ROSE
Once upon a time there was a princess.
ANA
Yeah.
ROSE 
And she fell asleep.
RONAN
Yeah?
ROSE
And then a prince kissed her waking her up.
ANA
Yeah?
ROSE
And that's pretty much it.
ANA
Oh.
CINDERELLA
Rose here is still writing her story. And aren't we all just starting to write our own stories. Remember, everyday, is a new beginning. 
RICHARD enters.
RICHARD
Cinderella.
CINDERELLA
Yes my husband.
RICHARD
There's a young man here to see Rapunzel.
RAPUNZEL
To see me?
RICHARD
Yes miss.
CINDERELLA
Send him in please.
RICHARD
Yes my love.
RICHARD exits and re-enters with CHRISTOPHER. He has a blindfold on... because he's blind.
CHRISTOPHER
Is Rapunzel here?
RAPUNZEL
It's my prince.
CHRISTOPHER
Rapunzel I hear you, but I can't see. You're mother blinded me.
RAPUNZEL
She wasn't my mother. She was a witch.
ROSE
Was she a good witch or a bad witch.
SNOW WHITE
Shut up Rose.
CINDERELLA 
Children, ladies, let's give Rapunzel and her friend some privacy. 
SNOW WHITE, ROSE, RONAN and ANA exit. CINDERELLA grabs hold of RICHARD.
CINDERELLA
You too darling.
RICHARD
Yes. My love.
CINDERELLA and RICHARD exit hand in hand.
CHRISTOPHER
Where have you been Rapunzel? 
RAPUNZEL
I was being punished, for loving you.
CHRISTOPHER
I am so sorry.
Pause.
RAPUNZEL
You're a father.
CHRISTOPHER
What?
RAPUNZEL
I gave birth to twins.
CHRISTOPHER
What?
RAPUNZEL
I was left to fend for myself. If I didn't meet Cinderella, and Snow White, I probably would have died. Rose I could've done without, but she makes me laugh.
CHRISTOPHER
Those two children. They're ours?
RAPUNZEL
Yes. Twins. The girl is Ana. The boy is Ronan.
CHRISTOPHER
I have a son. There's an heir to my throne. 
Pause.
RAPUNZEL
You're taking my kids away?
CHRISTOPHER
No, you're coming too.
RAPUNZEL
I don't want to leave. I like it here. I have friends. I have "my" kids. This is my home. 
CHRISTOPHER
But they're "my" kids too.
RAPUNZEL
You can't just show up out of nowhere and become a father. 
CHRISTOPHER
What makes you an expert on this?
RAPUNZEL
I'm their mother.
CHRISTOPHER
Did you just wake up and become a mother?
RAPUNZEL
Technically yes. I kind of have no way of getting out of it, and for the last five years I've been raising them. They're my kids. Not yours.
CINDERELLA and RICHARD are seen eavesdropping.
CHRISTOPHER
You know I didn't abandon you. 
RAPUNZEL
I didn't abandon you either. Things just happen.
CHRISTOPHER
I'm here now, and I'm not leaving without my kids.
CINDERELLA
I wouldn't have it any other way.
RAPUNZEL
CInderella?
CINDERELLA
Prince Christopher, you are welcome to stay here as long as you want as long as you go by my rules. 
CHRISTOPHER 
What?
RICHARD
Cool it there.
CHRISTOPHER
Okay
CINDERELLA
In my house, women are not second class citizens. We are equal to men.
CHRISTOPHER
Really?
CINDERELLA
So think twice before trying to force my friend here to go someplace she doesn't want to go.
RICHARD
Say "yes ma'am"
CHRISTOPHER
Yes ma'am
CINDERELLA
Good. Now follow me this way. We will show you to your quarters.
CHRISTOPHER (WHISPERING TO RICHARD)
You let her be in charge.
RICHARD 
All I do, is accept her, for her.
CINDERELLA, CHRISTOPHER and RICHARD exit. RAPUNZEL is left alone.
Scene - Rapunzel's Room.
ROSE and SNOW WHITE join RAPUNZEL in her room.
ROSE
I just want to make sure you're doing the right thing.
RAPUNZEL
I am. It's been a year now since he showed up and he is so good with the kids. He can marry me if he wants.
ROSE
Good. Good.
SNOW WHITE notices ROSE starting to tear up.
SNOW WHITE
Rose are you okay?
ROSE
I'm fine. I'm fine.
ROSE exits.
RAPUNZEL
I don't think she's fine.
SNOW WHITE
Who cares. Look, as long as this is what you want to do, you have my support.
RAPUNZEL
Oh goody. 
RAPUNZEL and SNOW WHITE hug.
SNOW WHITE
How does Cinderella feel about you moving out?
RAPUNZEL
You know her. She doesn't want to see any of us leave.
Scene - The Throne 
CINDERELLA is alone with tears in her eyes, sitting on her throne. ROSE enters, tears in her eyes still, 
ROSE
Cinderella? 
ROSE approaches CINDERELLA.
ROSE
Are you okay?
CINDERELLA
Oh Rose. Yes. Why?
ROSE
You've been crying.
CINDERELLA
Well your eyes aren't dry either.
ROSE
I guess I'm going to miss... Rapunzel. Oh I'm going to miss Rapunzel.
CINDERELLA
Me too. She was like a sister. We all became sisters didn't we? And I'm going to miss having kids around. Too many changes.
ROSE
Why don't you have kids?
CINDERELLA
What?
ROSE
You're married. You're financially set. Why not?
CINDERELLA
To be honest, childbirth grosses me out.
ROSE
What?
CINDERELLA
After seeing my stepmother give birth and more recently Rapunzel, I think I'm set.
ROSE
Childbirth is a beautiful thing.
CINDERELLA
Do you remember what we saw?
ROSE
Not really, I think I blocked it out.
CINDERELLA
See?
ROSE
There's always adoption.
CINDERELLA
True, very true. 
SNOW WHITE and RAPUNZEL enter.
SNOW WHITE
There they are.
RAPUNZEL
Hi ladies.
CINDERELLA and the girls huddle and hold hands.
CINDERELLA
Oh good, we're all together one last time. Friends forever, sisters for life, until the very end of...
ROSE
I can't do this.
ROSE breaks free of the huddle.
ROSE
I'm sorry I can't.
RAPUNZEL
Rose what's wrong?
ROSE
Oh Rapunzel, I did something so terrible.
RAPUNZEL
What? What did you do?
ROSE
I... kissed your prince.
RAPUNZEL
What?
CINDERELLA
Oh Rose.
SNOW WHITE
You airhead, why would you do that?
ROSE
It was a mistake. I'm sorry.
RAPUNZEL
Why did you... do you even love him.
ROSE
I think I do.
RAPUNZEL
Oh heavens.
ROSE
I'm sorry I did it, but I couldn't keep it a secret. 
RAPUNZEL
I hate you.
CINDERELLA
Wait, Rapunzel...
RAPUNZEL
Are you taking her side?
CINDERELLA
I'm not taking anyone's side. Have you heard his side? 
RAPUNZEL
Of course not. This is the first time I'm hearing this.
CINDERELLA
Do you realize that if Rose never told you this, you might not have ever known. He's the one lying to you, not her. Sure she did such a heinous act, but look at her.
SNOW WHITE
Yeah, she's too flakey to even know what she did.
ROSE
I know what I did. It was bad, and I am so sorry.
RAPUNZEL
I can't deal with this. Goodbye girls.
CINDERELLA
Wait, are we going to see you again.
RAPUNZEL 
I don't know. I don't know.
RAPUNZEL Exits.
ROSE
Ladies I am so sorry.
Scene - The Forest
Exterior. Afternoon. CINDERELLA, SNOW WHITE and ROSE are having a picnic. There is an uncomfortable silence. RAPUNZEL enters after awhile.
ROSE
Rapunzel, how are you?
RAPUNZEL
I'm fine.
CINDERELLA
Are things okay now?
RAPUNZEL
Yes.
SNOW WHITE
The kids?
RAPUNZEL
They're going to live in the castle with Christopher, and I'm going to visit, a whole lot.
CINDERELLA
So am I.
SNOW WHITE 
Me too.
RAPUNZEL
Thanks ladies.
ROSE
Can I come?
RAPUNZEL
No. I'm mad at you. But I won't be mad forever.
CINDERELLA
Come on Rose. Give it a month, she'll get over it.
ROSE
How are you so sure?
CINDERELLA
My stepsisters live with me now. Forgiveness takes time.
ROSE
That is hope. 
SNOW WHITE
My stepmother doesn't hate me anymore.
ROSE
It's because you're not pretty anymore.
The girls share a laugh.
RAPUNZEL
It takes time okay?
ROSE
Okay.
RAPUNZEL takes ROSE's hands. They smile.
END



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun