youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Friday, August 2, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 2 - 10 Years Later...

10 YEARS LATER...
Scene - The Park
Exterior. An afternoon in fall. BRIAR is standing, waiting for someone. HANK appears and slowly approaches BRIAR. A bench is nearby.
BRIAR
Hey, thanks for coming.
HANK
I almost didn't.
BRIAR
I know, and I understand.
HANK
What's up?
BRIAR
You look good. 
HANK
Thank you.
BRIAR
It's almost as if no time has passed at all. What have you been up to? Are you still dancing? Singing?
HANK
Are you?
BRIAR
Yes I am. Not in the capacity that I would've liked, but, I love to do it, and it pays the bills.
HANK
What do you do?
BRIAR
Dinner theater.
HANK
Oh my.
BRIAR
It's whatever. I get to read for Hamlet next week, while people order cheeseburgers.
HANKS giggles a little. BRIAR giggles a little. 
BRIAR
You remember what I did to you right?
HANK
You stole my boyfriend.
BRIAR
He went on a date with me, while you two were still together. He cheated on you.
HANK
Is this your idea of an apology?
BRIAR sits down on the nearby bench. HANK slowly joins him.
BRIAR
Look, all these years, I've ignored your crazy texts, your crazy e-mails, and your crazy stares as you'd pass by me at auditions. I would always tell myself that it's not my fault he left you. I didn't even know he was with you while we dated. It's not my fault, I would tell myself. Looking back on it, it kind of was my fault. I didn't know you guys were together, but if I did know, I'm pretty sure I would've taken the exact same actions. I was "that" guy. I was the home wrecker. I denied it all these years because we all want to see ourselves as the good guy, but I wasn't the good guy, not in that instance. I'm sorry Hank. And I hope you can forgive me.
HANK
I loved him, did you know that?
BRIAR
I did.
HANK
And you still went after him, while we were together.
BRIAR
Yes. 
HANK
I don't know if I could forgive you.
BRIAR
I've said my peace. It's up to you to decide what do now. 
BRIAR gets up and leaves. HANK is alone as the leaves begin to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun