youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 6 - The First Time(s) We Met



THE FIRST TIME(S) WE MET

SCENE - A CAFE 

LEO and JOEY are enjoying light conversation and
tea for a moment. It's quiet and relaxing. LINK
runs in being disruptive.

LINK
Leo.

LEO
Well hey there you.

JOEY (ASKING LEO)
Who's this?

LEO
Joey, this is my "friend" Link. Link this...

LINK
Yeah hi Joey, nice to meet you... Leo I need you.

LEO
You always need me.

JOEY
Oh, that kind of "friend."

LINK
I'm going on a date with Logan.

JOEY
Oh, never mind.

LEO (TO LINK)
With Logan? You actually talked to him?

LINK
Yeah. I cornered him at the bookstore. I made it hard
for him to say no.

LEO
Did you rape him?

LINK
No, I bought him 4 Harry Potter books.

LEO
Well played.

JOEY (SARCASTIC)
Oh yeah? Flowers are so passe.

LINK (TO LEO)
I'm going to need your help though. 

LEO
With what?

LINK
You know how I get. 

JOEY (TO LEO)
How does he get?

LINK
I move too fast. 

LEO (TO LINK)
Yes, you do, especially on a first date.

LINK
I know, I know.

JOEY (TO LEO, CONFUSED)
He moves too fast?

LEO (TO JOEY)
He thinks he can determine his life with a guy in just
the first few moments of their date.

JOEY
Oh that's stupid. 

LEO
Link, you really have to put that in check.

LINK (TO LEO)
I will, and I know how. Do you know how addicts deal
with their addictions? They have a sponsor. You can be
my sponsor.

LEO
Your sponsor? What are you addicted to?

LINK
Love.

LEO
Oh god.

LINK
If I feel an urge during my date to move faster than I
should, I'll call you. 

JOEY (TO LEO, SARCASTIC)
Oh Leo, it's like AA. You better keep your cellphone on
you.

LINK (TO LEO)
Yes, exactly, I'm going to need to have you on call.

LEO
It's Friday night. What makes you think I don't have
plans tonight.

LINK/JOEY
Because it's Friday night. 

LEO
Okay you're right. (to LINK) I think you'll be fine
though.

LINK
Just please be by your phone. Please please please.

LEO (TO JOEY)
Fine! Fine. See, this is why we he and I broke up.

JOEY
Oh...

LINK runs offstage.

SCENE - BINGLEY'S

LINK and LOGAN are sitting in opposite sides of a
table setting looking at menus. A bar is nearby.

LINK
I love this restaurant. It beats Denny's any day.

LOGAN
Thanks for bringing me then.

LINK
It was nothing.

LOGAN
So what do you do?

LINK
My day job is over at Motion Videos, but I'm studying
voice. I want to be a singer, like Karen Carpenter.

LOGAN
That's great. I love The Carpenters.

LINK
Wow, really? That is awesome.

LOGAN
Yeah, I'm in college studying music. Richard's piano
playing skills were very inspiring as I was growing up.

LINK
Wow, that is amazing.

SCENE - FLASH FORWARD TO TONYS

THE CREW, dressed in all black, enter and change
the set so LINK is sitting center stage with LOGAN
on his left side and LEO and JOEY on his right
side. All are wearing suits. 

ANNOUNCER
... and the winner of the best musical is. Logan Kyle
for "Close to You". A jukebox musical of Carpetners
songs.

LOGAN
Babe I won.

LOGAN gets up, embraces LINK and runs offstage.

LINK
What's going on? What happened?

LEO
Your husband just won best musical. 

JOEY
Were you sleeping again?

LOGAN re-enters and stands behind the chairs.
LINK, LOGAN and JOEY look out towards the audience
as if they're looking up at LOGAN onstage at The
Tonys.

LOGAN
Thank you so much. This means so much to me, but it
wouldn't mean anything with out my inspiration. My
muse. The love of my life. My partner of 10 years. Link
Summers. Stand up babe.

LINK
What?

JOEY
Stand up.

LINK reluctantly stands up and slowly gets
excited.

LINK
Hi. Thank you. No really. Thank you. 


Applause gets even louder as THE CREW changes
everything back to a restaraunt.

SCENE BINGLEY'S

LINK and LOGAN sit at the same table setting at
Bingley's. Their drinks have arrived.

LINK
Thank you.

LOGAN
It's nothing, you have a great voice. 

LINK
What just happened?

LOGAN
You sang a few bars of "Close to You"

LINK
Did I? (thinks for a minute) Can you excuse me for a
moment.

LOGAN
Yeah sure.

LINK takes out his phone and starts to dial. He
talks into his phone as LEO and JOEY enter and
stand behind LINK unseen.

LINK (IN THE PHONE)
Leo?

LEO
Yeah.

LINK (CONFUSED)
Damn that's clear.

LEO
Link!

LINK (SCARE SUPRISED)
Oh man. You scared me. Why are you here?

JOEY
We thought this would be much more fun.

LEO 
No, you did. 

LINK
Well anyways, you're here. It's happening again, I'm
moving too fast. 

LEO
What happened?

LINK
He said he was a songwriter and for some reason I was
at The Tony Awards being thanked in his acceptance
speech.

LEO
It's not so bad,

LINK
I was his husband in it. 

LEO
Oh that's bad.

LINK
(pointing towards LEO) And you were there. (pointing
towards JOEY) And you.

JOEY
Yeah?

LINK
See how bad my situation is? 

JOEY 
I know, you don't even really know me, but there I am,
in your future.

LINK
What am I going to do? What am I going to do?

LEO
You're going to relax. Just breath. And say this with
me. I am taking things slow.

LINK
I am taking things slow.

LEO
I can take things slow.

LINK
I can take things slow.

JOEY (AT THE BAR NEARBY)
I am waiting for my drink.

LINK
I am waiting for my... what?

LEO
Stop that you. And you, get over there and finish your
date.

LINK
Okay, okay.

LINK walks back to LOGAN at the table setting.

LEO (TO JOEY)
This is fun for you?


JOEY
And you.

LEO
Yeah a little bit. Let's watch.

LINK sits down at the table setting with LOGAN.

LOGAN
Are you okay?

LINK
I'm okay.

LOGAN
You seem a little tense.

LINK
I'm sorry. I ran into some friends over there.

LOGAN (NOTICING LEO AND JOEY HAVING A DRINK AT THE BAR)
Ah. The Lucy's to your Ethel?

LINK
Oh I Love... Lucy. I love, I Love Lucy.

LOGAN
Oh me too. I grew up on her. I always loved how Ricky
would be involved in a show, and then Lucy would want
to be in the show, and then all kinds of hell would
break lose.

LINK
Yeah it would.

LEO (TO JOEY)
I think he's doing okay.

THE CREW enters. JOEY notices.

JOEY
No he's not.

LEO
There he goes again.

THE CREW begins to change the setting to a living
room.

LINK
Oh no not again.

SCENE - THE LIVING ROOM

LINK is sitting on the couch while LOGAN is at his
desk nearby typing up something on his laptop.
Both are in very relaxed and classy clothes.

LINK
Oh why. Why do I do this?

LOGAN 
Honey are you okay?

LINK
Yes. What are you working on?

LOGAN
It's that idea for a musical you had. 

LINK
The Carpenters idea.

LOGAN 
Oh yes. But no you can't be in it.

LINK thinks for a bit and then does an impression
of LUCY RICARDO.

LINK
But Ricky, I want to be in the show. Waaahhhh

LOGAN smiles and ravages LINK on the couch.

LOGAN
Come here you. 

They both relax on the couch and look at each
other.

LOGAN
I love you.

LINK
Oh man.

LINK faints and falls off of the couch.

LOGAN
Anything for a laugh huh?

LINK gets up and looks at LOGAN.

LINK
Logan, I love you too. I love you.

THE CREW appears and turns the living room back
into the restaurant.

SCENE - BINGLEY'S

LINK and LOGAN are sitting at the table sitting.
JOEY and LEO are sitting nearby at the bar still.
Their food has arrived.

LINK (COMPLETELY TO HIMSELF)
I love you.

LOGAN
What?

LINK
What?

LEO
What?

JOEY
Whoa. It's over coach.

LINK (THINKING)
I said, I'll have an orange juice?

LOGAN
Oh, let me get us a waiter.

LEO (TO JOEY)
Good save. And he's back in the game.

JOEY (TO LEO)
Oh we'll see about that.

A waiter, named HANK enters. LOGAN notices him.

LOGAN
Waiter?

HANK approaches them.

HANK
Yes sir.

LOGAN (RECOGNITION)
Hey Hank.

HANK (HAPPY)
Hi there. 

LOGAN
How have you been?

HANK
I've been great. It's good to see you.

LOGAN 
This is my friend Link.

LINK
Hi.

HANK
Hi. 

JOEY (TO LEO)
Did he just introduce him as a friend.

LEO (TO JOEY)
Yes.

JOEY
Oy.

HANK
I'll be back with your orange juice.

HANK exits.

LINK
Nice, who was that?

LOGAN
That's Hank. He's an actor friend of mine. He's really
good.

LINK
Oh that's cool. Can you excuse me again.

LOGAN
Umm... sure

LINK starts to approach LEO and JOEY but THE CREW
appears and starts to change the set again.

LINK
Oh no, it's happening again. 

THE CREW takes everything offstage.

SCENE - WEDDING

LINK stands on a bare stage. Logan enters. 

LOGAN
Babe, where have you been? The wedding's going to start
soon.

LINK
I can't marry you Logan. You're in love with someone
else.

LOGAN
Is this because of Hank. Babe, there's nothing between
Hank and I.

LINK
Stop lying to me okay? I saw you guys together. And at
our restaurant. How could you? 

LOGAN
There's no excuse for what I did Link.

LINK
And I can't marry someone I don't trust. Goodbye Logan.
Goodbye.

THE CREW appears and changes the set to the
outside of the restaurant.

SCENE - OUTSIDE OF BINGLEY'S

LOGAN and LINK stand outside of the restaurant.


LINK
Goodbye Logan.


LOGAN
Yeah I had a great time.

LINK
Hopefully we'll see each other again.

LOGAN
Thank you. 

LOGAN looks at LINK for a moment, then kisses him.

LOGAN
Good night.

LINK (SURPRISED)
Good night.

LOGAN exits. LEO and JOEY enter. 

JOEY
Well that was a fun date wasn't it?

LEO
It certainly was fun to watch.

LINK
Yeah.

LEO
Are you going to see him again.

LINK
Yeah, now that our wedding is out of the way, I sure
will.

END





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun