youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Sunday, August 4, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 3: Dorothy and Alice


Scene 
A black stage. Two figures appear as piano underscores. A light on one of the figures. DOROTHY. 
DOROTHY (TO AUDIENCE)
When I was younger I always wanted to be a writer. Now I'm the ruler of an entire empire. I don't have time to dream in a dreamworld.
Towards the end of her dialogue, a light goes on the other figure. ALICE. Her dialogue overlaps towards the end of DOROTHY's.
ALICE (TO AUDIENCE)
When I was younger I always wanted to be a grown up. I didn't have time to be a child. I had studies. I was always surrounded by adults. I was always smarter than adults. It was a wonder I ended up surviving.
DOROTHY (TO AUDIENCE)
Today I'm interviewing Alice Liddel, the newest member of an organization called The Society.
ALICE (TO AUDIENCE)
An organization comprised of Queens, Hatters, Duchesses and talking animals.
DOROTHY
Sounds somewhat familiar, but much stranger.
ALICE
That it is.
DOROTHY
I'm Dorothy Gale with the Dreamland Times. It's a newspaper.
ALICE (TO DOROTHY)
I thought you were ruler of a kingdom though?
The lights come on to reveal a table setting. DOROTHY and ALICE sit at opposites sides of the table)
DOROTHY
Oh I left all of that behind. 
ALICE
You left a whole kingdom behind?
DOROTHY
Oh yes. 
ALICE
Who's ruling now?
DOROTHY
I left it in the hands a very responsible person.
ALICE
Who?
DOROTHY
A princess who used to be a farm boy.
ALICE
A farm boy?
DOROTHY
Yeah. Before she was a farm boy, she was a little girl. Now she's a princess, and a great one at that.
ALICE
All girls go through a phase where they can be mistaken for little boys it appears.
DOROTHY
I think I'm still in "my" phase... though my body would deceive you.
ALICE
You feel you can still be mistaken for a boy?
DOROTHY
Hey now, I'm supposed to be the interviewer.
ALICE
I'm sorry.
DOROTHY
So, what has prepared you for The Society? 
ALICE
I've been known to vocally spar with some of the world's most fiercest queens. So it was a natural thing to be nominated into the group.
DOROTHY
That does prepare one.
ALICE
You've been known to spar with witches and wizards and the sort too. I've read about you Dorothy Gale.
DOROTHY
Hey now, I'm the interviewer.
ALICE
I know, but your life is as fascinating as mine, if not moreso. I barely remember my adventures. I just get flashes of conversation here and there. Your adventures are documented in 15 plus volumes.
DOROTHY
And counting.
ALICE
So why would you leave all that to interview me? A normal girl.
DOROTHY
Because there is no such thing as a normal girl. We all have this power within us that make us truly magical. Boys wish they had it, but they do not have it. They have something else.
ALICE
We're magical?
QUEEN OF HEARTS enters holding something behind her back.
QUEEN OF HEARTS (TO ALICE)
Are you?
DOROTHY (WHISPERING TO ALICE)
Who is that?
ALICE (WHISPERING TO DOROTHY)
The Queen of Hearts. She is out of control.
QUEEN OF HEARTS 
What did you say? Off with her head!
QUEEN OF HEARTS reveals she is wielding an ax behind her.
DOROTHY
Seriously?
ALICE
Run Dorothy.
ALICE and DOROTHY run offstage. QUEEN OF HEARTS chases after them, knocking the table set over in the process. ALICE and DOROTHY re-enter from the other side of the stage, out of breath.
DOROTHY
What's her problem. 
ALICE
She's probably one of those girls that never realized she was magical.
QUEEN OF HEARTS re-enters, out of breath and looking more savage. She eyes the girls_
DOROTHY (TO ALICE)
Actually she might just not have honed it right. (to QUEEN OF HEARTS) Why are you so angry?
QUEEN OF HEARTS
Because the Knave of Hearts took my tarts.
DOROTHY
You can't let a man control the way you emote. You need to surpass.
QUEEN OF HEARTS
No man controls the Queen!
DOROTHY
Obviously one does.
ALICE
Dorothy no.
DOROTHY (TO ALICE)
No wait. Maybe she needs to be told. Maybe she's never been told.
QUEEN OF HEARTS (INDICATING DOROTHY)
Off with her head too!
ALICE
Run again.
ALICE starts to run, but DOROTHY stops her as QUEEN OF HEARTS starts to weaking. Getting more and more out of breath.
DOROTHY
We'll be fine. Look. She's getting tired.
QUEEN OF HEARTS
I'll get you later.
QUEEN OF HEARTS exits the stage.
ALICE
How did you know she'd get tired?
DOROTHY
Because if you let your emotions run, you won't get very far. And she's letting her emotions run because she's not owning up to her problems. 
ALICE
Her problems?
DOROTHY
She thinks that it would be bad to admit that a man is controlling how she is feeling, but in reality, if she just said it, she'll be fine. She'll feel a million times better if she could just admit to that.
ALICE
Is that true?
DOROTHY
Yes. Admitting things is the start of being ruler of your own world.
ALICE pauses to think.
ALICE
I think I'm ready for that interview Dorothy.
DOROTHY
Good. I can't wait.
END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun