youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Saturday, August 31, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 31 - The Goodhearts

THE GOODHEARTS
Scene - Living Space
Interior. Afternoon. A living room that has a dinning room that flows right into it. ROBERT is on the living room couch with a bowl of spaghetti watching TV. HEATHER enters ready to set the dinning room table and sees ROBERT.
HEATHER
Robert, what did I tell you about eating in the living room?
ROBERT
Heather please. I just got back from work and I just want to enjoy my spaghetti.
Audience laugh track is heard. HEATHER gives him a dirty look.
ROBERT
The spaghetti you've so carefully prepared my dear.
Audience laugh track is heard. HEATHER turns back around to prepare setting the table. Unknown to her, as soon she turns around, ROBERT has spilled the entirety of his spaghetti on the couch by accident due to a startling moment on his TV show. He goes to try to find solutions to hide the huge stain.
HEATHER
I just hate when you don't listen to me. I don't say these things to hear myself ya' know. I just say them because I'm a stay at home and I know this house front to back and I hate food stains in the living room. I have carefully set up our dining room so you can eat there. I've even positioned the TV so you can see it from where you eat in the dining room, if you ate at the dining room, and still, you eat in the living room.
The laughter has increased as ROBERT has found a white blanket to throw over the white couch and hides the stain completely. HEATHER turns around to face ROBERT.
ROBERT
I understand.
Audience laugh track is heard.
HEATHER
Did you finish all that spaghetti?
ROBERT
Yes ma'am it was good.
Audience laugh track is heard.
HEATHER
Thanks. Don't eat in here. 
HEATHER exits. BOBBY enters.
ROBERT
Son, do me a favor.
BOBBY
Yeah.
ROBERT
I'm going to take your mother out for dinner. While we're out, you have to clean this. Please.
ROBERT shows BOBBY the stain on the couch.
BOBBY
Oh mom's gonna kill you.
Audience laugh track is heard.
ROBERT
Not if my son helps me. My son who will also get a 20 dollar advance in his allowance if he helps me.
HEATHER enters.
HEATHER
What do you guys want for dinner.
BOBBY
You should go out, you go out, guys... go out.
Audience laugh track is heard.
HEATHER
What?
ROBERT
I was just telling Bobby boy here that, he notices that you work so hard all day and never get a single thank you.
HEATHER
He did?
BOBBY
I did?
ROBERT
You did. (audience laugh track is heard) So, I'm going to say thank you by taking you out for dinner.
HEATHER
Oh Robert.
BOBBY
Cool, we're going to Mickey's?
Audience laugh track is heard.
HEATHER
The fast food restaraunt?
ROBERT
We're not going to Mickey's, and you're not going, remember? Advanced notice?
BOBBY
What? Oh?
Audience laugh track is heard.
ROBERT
Oh!!! Yes!
HEATHER
What?
ROBERT
Nevermind dear, he's sick. Get your purse.
HEATHER
We're going now? Shouldn't we call a babysitter?
ROBERT
Oh the kids are teenagers, they'll be fine.
HEATHER
No parties!
ROBERT and HEATHER exit. The audience track roars with laughter. BOBBY looks at the stain and starts to roll his sleeves up. SARAH enters.
SARAH
What did you do?
BOBBY
Dad spilled spaghetti on mom's white couch.
SARAH
It looks like crime scene.
BOBBY
Yeah, don't it?
Audience laugh track is heard. SARAH flinches.
SARAH
Mom and dad aren't home then?
BOBBY
No he took her out so I can hide the evidence.
Audience laugh track is heard. SARAH flinches again and takes out a gun. She aims it at BOBBY. Lights out.
SARAH
Oh, okay.
Lights back on. BOBBY is tied up and  unconscious on the couch near the spaghetti stain on the couch. ROBERT and HEATHER enter. 
ROBERT
Bobby? Sarah?
HEATHER
Kids? Oh my GOD!!!!
HEATHER sees BOBBY tied up on the couch. SARAH enters aiming the gun at HEATHER and ROBERT.
SARAH
Sit on the couch.
ROBERT
Sarah, where did you get a gun?
SARAH
Just shut up and sit down.
HEATHER and ROBERT sit on the couch with BOBBY.
HEATHER
Honey, is something wrong?
Audience laugh track is heard. SARAH closes her eyes as the laughter fades.
SARAH
I feel trapped in this sitcom world.
Audience laugh track is heard.
SARAH
This is not funny.
HEATHER
Sarah, baby we love you. What are you doing?
SARAH
I'm a real teenage girl with real problems. No one at school likes me. I want to die. I'm bullied. I hate everyone.
Audience laugh track is heard. SARAH covers her ears.
SARAH
Shut up, just shut up. Just shut up.
ROBERT
Sarah, put the gun down.
HEATHER
Honey we love you. Please stop.
BOBBY wakes up.
BOBBY
What's going on?
SARAH is startled.
SARAH
What?
BOBBY
What's wrong Sarah?
Audience laughter is heard.
SARAH
I can't stand it here.
SARAH runs offstage with the gun. HEATHER looks on at her daughter.
HEATHER
Sarah NO!!!! Please....
A gunshot is heard.
ROBERT
Oh God.
BOBBY
Sarah? Sarah?
Lights off. Lights back on. A new couch is in the living room. ROBERT is in the dinning room on the table eating spaghetti. HEATHER enters, looks at ROBERT, and smiles.
HEATHER
Look who's eating at the dinning room table.
ROBERT
I learned my lesson honey. No eating in the living room.
HEATHER
It's a shame Sarah had to leave for awhile.
ROBERT
Yeah, but at least it means your niece can stay in her room during her stay.
HEATHER
Oh yes. She should be here any minute. Bobby, get over here. Cousin Olivia is coming.
BOBBY
Yay. Cousin Olivia.
Audience laughter is heard.
END


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun