youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Friday, August 30, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 30 - Fanning the Flames

FANNING THE FIRE
Scene - Backstage
Offstage, a ruckus of angry fans is heard. JERRY and CARUE enter, out of breath. After a moment:
JERRY
Was that really necessary?
CARUE
Yes.
JERRY
A lot of jobs are on the line you know?
CARUE
I don't care. I can't play this role anymore.
JERRY
I don't like it, but it's a fact: boybands don't sell well that have openly gay members.
CARUE
You think I give a shit?
JERRY
You better give a shit. We sell pop music.
CARUE
Maybe pop music has to change.
JERRY
You really think our music is going to change the world?
CARUE
We could change the world. 
JERRY
I love you. Because you believe the world should be a better place than it is. I'm realistic though.
JERRY exits. CARUE is left behind. He hears JERRY's announcement.
JERRY (OFFSTAGE)
I'm sorry to announce that Carue has decided to leave In Fire. But we promise you that we will keep making good music for as long as you will allow us too.
CARUE exits as the ruckus gets more loud and angry and sad.
Scene - Carue's Appartment
Interior. Morning. JONZE Is in a suit and finishing up his coffee. 
JONZE 
Carue?
CARUE enters.
CARUE
Yes Jonze?
JONZE
I'm off to work soon. Do you need a ride to your audition?
CARUE
No. I think I'll walk.
JONZE
Are you sure?
CARUE
Yeah. The walk back will help calm my nerves when they tell me I didn't get it.
JONZE
Don't be so negative. You're awesome. I knew that the moment I saw your first music video with In Fire.
CARUE
Oh, I miss those boys.
JONZE
Everyone does. 
JONZE kisses CARUE.
JONZE
It was years ago. Don't think too hard about it. I'll see you after work okay.
CARUE
Okay. 
JONZE hugs CARUE and exits out the door. CARUE stands at the edge of the door.
CARUE
Jonze. I love you.
JONZE (OFFSTAGE)
I love you too.
CARUE looks on and smiles for a moment. CARUE closes the door. CARUE starts to clean up and starts to vocally warm up. A knock is heard on the door. CARUE opens the door expecting JONZE.
CARUE
Did you forget something?
But instead....
JERRY
Hi. 
CARUE
Jerry? What are you...
JERRY
I was in town, promoting my new album.
CARUE
You shouldn't walk the streets alone. Where's your body guards?
JERRY
They're in the limo. I'll be fine here. Right?
CARUE
Yeah of course.
CARUE invites JERRY in. An awkward moment until...
CARUE
How are things...
JERRY
I'm sorry.
Pause.
CARUE
It might be a little too late for that.
JERRY
I haven't forgotten about you. Everyday since I left you, I have always thought about you. Every song I sing on my record, is for you.
CARUE
I don't care.
JERRY
I'm sorry for what happened, and I wish I could say: I wish I didn't leave you, - but I'm not. But I do miss you, and I will always love you.
Pause.
CARUE
Please go. I can't...
Pause. Hesitation.
JERRY
Okay. 
JERRY exits out the door. CARUE stands at the door, watching JERRY leave. A limo is heard leaving. CARUE watches on.
END



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun