youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Sunday, August 25, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 25 - Quest for the Stars

QUEST FOR THE STARS
Scene - TV Commerical
ANNOUNCER enters onto the empty stage with a mic on hand. She stands stage right.
ANNOUNCER
Welcome to the newest episode of the hit talent search series, Quest for the Stars, where our judges are on a quest to find the next singing super sensation. Our featured judges are very hot and very gay Nicholas Riches.
NICHOLAS enters and strikes a pose off-center stage.
ANNOUNCER
International singing senstion Diane Moon.
DIANE enters and poses off-center stage also. The two are leaving a space in-between them for...
ANNOUNCER
And making her come back to the public eye, the very mysterious Gwen Gomez.
GWEN enters, takes center stage, and a musical sting cues the lights to go down.
Scene - The Show
Lights come back on. DIANE is getting ready in front of a vanity mirror. GWEN enters.
GWEN
Hi Diane.
DIANE
Hi Gwen.
GWEN
It seems as if the media is making us out to be rivals. I don't agree with them.
DIANE (SNARKY)
Of course we're not rivals. You haven't had an album out in my years. My album on the other hand...
GWEN
I'm going to stop you right there. We're not doing this. No snark. No double entendre. I'm going to be your friend. Trust me, you're going to need friends.
DIANE pauses.
DIANE
I'm sorry. I will be sweet.
GWEN
I will too.
NICHOLAS enters. A judge's table appears behind him as does a studio audience.
NICHOLAS
Okay you skinny bitches. Are you ready to judge these losers.
DIANE
What did I sign up for?
GWEN
A life sentence.
As GWEN, DIANE and NICHOLAS take their seats behind the judge's table, the focus shifts to a bunch of loud contestants enter. PETE is among one of them. A QUEST STAFF member keeps him at bay.
PETE
You don't understand, Gwen and I are friends. We grew up together.
QUEST STAFF
Sure. I know. Everyone grew up with Gwen.
PETE
Just tell her Pete is here.
QUEST STAFF 
Whatever.
Focus back on the judge's table. Audience listens.
GWEN
Wow. This has been strange. All these auditions in front of all of these people.
DIANE
It's all a show Gwen. Just make sure you say what you mean. Don't be a cookie cutter.
GWEN
Thank you.
NICHOLAS
Blah blah blah. Do you ladies realize everything you say is being recorded?
GWEN
In that case, be yourself and feed the poor.
DIANE
That was cute.
GWEN
Thank you.
NICHOLAS
Boring. Bring out our next contestant.
PETE is sent out for the judges.
GWEN
Oh my God.
DIANE
I know, cute huh?
GWEN
I know him.
DIANE
Yeah?
NICHOLAS
Oh this will be good.
The light fade.
Scene - After the Show
Lights come back on. The same set, but it's messier and emptier. PETE is onstage alone. GWEN enters.
GWEN
Pete? 
GWEN hugs PETE.
GWEN
Pete how are you?
PETE
Oh Gwen I missed you so much.
GWEN
You did great. I didn't know you could sing like that.
PETE 
Well, I couldn't in High School. But you inspired me. You went out there and did it. I figured if you could follow your dreams, then what's stopping me? Thank you.
GWEN
Oh Pete. 
The hug again and then pause a moment to look at each other.
GWEN
I have to get going. I'm so happy you're part of this competition.
GWEN exits. NICHOLAS enters.
NICHOLAS
Well hi there Pete.
PETE
Hi. You're way meaner in person.
NICHOLAS
I don't have time for your compliments. I don't know how long how long you think you've known Gwen, but I've known her for as long as she has been in this industry and the last thing she needs is another man in her life to screw her up.
PETE
I think the last thing she needs is someone controlling her life. She's more than a singer. She's a person.
NICHOLAS
She's Gwen Gomez. Don't you know what that means?
PETE
It means she needs to be careful with who she surrounds herself with.
NICHOLAS
Exactly. Welcome to the competition.
NICHOLAS exits leaving PETE alone. Lights out.
Scene - Limo
Lights on. DIANE and GWEN are in the backseat of a limo with NICHOLAS.
DIANE
How romantic. After all these years, he's here.
GWEN
What?
DIANE
Come on. Everyone can sense the romantics out there.
GWEN
Romantics? No. He's...
DIANE
Just a friend? They all say that. It means there's romance there but someone's not ready.
NICHOLAS
And she's not ready so maybe you should drop it.
GWEN
Hey, be nice. Diane is just having some girl talk with me. It's harmless.
NICHOLAS
Gwen shouldn't be thinking about romance at this point. Not after what she went through.
GWEN
I think I know what I've been through Nicholas, thank you.
NICHOLAS
And so does the rest of the world. I just don't want you to make the same mistakes and bring my show down with you.
GWEN
If you don't want me in your show, I don't have to be in it.
NICHOLAS
Oh yes you do. Aside from signing a contract, you need us to help revive your dying career that you started killing - yourself - when you started eating more, singing less, and dating publicly every boy band member from every record label in America and Canada.
GWEN
Driver, let me out of here.
GWEN gets out of the limo.
NICHOLAS
Yeah get out.
DIANE
What is wrong with you. 
DIANE exits the limo and goes to the driver's seat
DIANE
Driver go without us, I'll take her home.
The limo leaves GWEN and DIANE alone onstage.
GWEN
That guy is an ass.
DIANE
I know. Tell me about it.
GWEN
You don't have to help me Diane. No one is around. There are no cameras.
DIANE
Wait a minute. That is not fair. I'm trying to look out for you.
GWEN
Why? 
DIANE
Because, you're probably one of the most real people I've met in awhile in this business. Come on, we'll get a cab and get you home. 
GWEN thinks for a moment.
GWEN
Thanks Diane. 
GWEN and DIANE exit.
Scene - The Show
ANNOUNCER enters stage right. Mic on hand.
ANNOUNCER
We are at the season finale of Quest for the Stars and it's down to two singers. Pete Wendels (light on PETE) and Heidi Spices. (light on HEIDI) Who's it going to be?
Lights off on ANNOUNCER, PETE and HEIDI. GWEN, DIANE and NICHOLAS enter.
GWEN
Who's it going to be?
DIANE
I know. They're both so talented.
GWEN
I really want to vote for Pete, but Heidi is amazing too. 
NICHOLAS
And Pete will never forgive you if you don't vote for him.
GWEN
Shut up.
DIANE
Don't listen to him Gwen. We're on our last episode, and then you don't have to deal with him anymore.
GWEN
Not until the next season at least.
DIANE
Really?
GWEN
Yeah?
DIANE
That is so cool. 
NICHOLAS
What is so cool?
DIANE
Gwen is now going to be a judge for the next few seasons of this show. 
NICHOLAS
Excuse me?
GWEN
You're stuck with me mister.
NICHOLAS
How does she get a contract like that? I don't even get a contract like that.
GWEN
I guess that kind of puts me higher in the totem pole doesn't it.
NICHOLAS
Gwen, you don't want to leave music behind.
GWEN
One of the reasons I came onto this show, was to help find young talent that could push music forward. Like what my friends and I did. I think Diane here is perfect for that.
DIANE
Really?
GWEN
Yes. You are the new Princess of Pop Hits. I pass the torch to you.
DIANE
Oh Gwen this means so much.
GWEN
Not that you need it, but I'll always be here to help guide you, as you have guided me.
DIANE
Are we ready to pick a winner?
GWEN
We sure are.
NICHOLAS
Let's do it.
Scene - After the Show
The same set, but messy and empty. PETE stands alone. Defeated. GWEN enters.
GWEN
Hey superstar.
PETE
Hi.
GWEN
If it helps, I voted for you.
PETE
I know.
GWEN
Do you know what you're doing now?
PETE
Back to auditions. Now I'm just a nobody.
GWEN
Oh stop. Don't you realize what just happened?
PETE
Huh?
GWEN
For 8 weeks, you were on national television. Millions of people heard you sing. Saw you perform. You're a star.
PETE
I got second place.
GWEN
So. That just means you have more opportunities than Heidi.
PETE
What?
GWEN
Because Heidi won the show, she has to do whatever the show wants her to do next. In her case, it's a definite album.
PETE
Poor her.
GWEN
But you, can soar. 
PETE
To what?
GWEN
We're going to figure that out. You and I.
PETE
Really?
GWEN
Yes. Together. 
GWEN takes PETE's hand and sings with him as they exit.
END


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun