youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 11 - Sisters and Their Brother

                                   SISTERS AND THEIR BROTHER

                                   SCENE - THE FUNERAL

                    Exterior. A graveyard. A sunny saturday. CYNTHIA
                    (the young sister) stands alone in front a
                    tombstone. SAMANTHA (the older sister) walks on
                    and slowly notices CYNTHIA. CYNTHIA slowly notices
                    SAMANTHA. They barely look at each other, but both
                    are focused on the tombstone.

          CYNTHIA
               Hello.

          SAMANTHA
               Cynthia.

          CYNTHIA
               Sam.

                    Pause

          SAMANTHA
               I thought everyone left.

          CYNTHIA
               They did. I wanted, a few more moments. Alone.

          SAMANTHA
               Too bad. 

          CYNTHIA
               Fine.

          SAMANTHA
               Fine.

                    Pause

          CYNTHIA
               I wanted to talk to him.

          SAMANTHA
               I'm sure he can hear your thoughts.

          CYNTHIA
               How do you know?

          SAMANTHA
               I don't. Please just don't talk anymore.

          CYNTHIA
               Fine.

                    Pause

          SAMANTHA
               He never liked our feud you know that?

          CYNTHIA
               Yes I did know that.

                    Pause

          SAMANTHA
               It's a shame we couldn't put it to rest before he
               passed on.

          CYNTHIA
               Well we didn't know he was going to pass on now did
               we? 

          SAMANTHA
               I guess not.

                    Pause

          CYNTHIA
               Would we?

          SAMANTHA
               Made up? I guess we'll never know now little sister.

                    Pause

          CYNTHIA
               Who's fault was it?

          SAMANTHA
               I think it was mine.

          CYNTHIA
               I'm talking about Cameron's death. Why is our brother
               gone?

                    SAMANTHA thinks. SAMANTHA smiles.

          SAMANTHA
               I don't think he is.
          CYNTHIA
               Really?

          SAMANTHA
               Not completely. I was at his apartment. I was helping
               his husband with some the funeral arrangements, and I
               saw a copy of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on his living
               room table. He loved that movie. Since he was 8. He was
               there. I think he still is.

          CYNTHIA
               Are you talking about ghosts?





          SAMANTHA
               I'm talking about our memories of him. He's not gone.
               He's not going anywhere as long as we remember him.

                    SAMANTHA starts to slowly tear up. CYNTHIA does
                    too. CYNTHIA waits a moment and then:

          CYNTHIA 
               Do you and Curtis need help? With funeral things?

          SAMANTHA
               I'm sure he'd want to see you.

          CYNTHIA
               Can you drive me?

          SAMANTHA
               Let's go.

                    SAMANTHA wipes her tears and CYNTHIA walks her
                    offstage.

                                                              END
               
               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun