youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Friday, August 23, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 22 - Riley's World


RILEY'S WORLD
Scene - Writer's Room
JOSHUA GREEN, MARTINA MARX and KEVIN FISHER sit in a round table discussion with notepads and pens.
JOSHUA GREEN
As you all know, the star of our show, Andrew Dawson, has unexpectedly died. Since he played the title character Riley in our show "Riley's World," I do think it only make sense that we discuss what plans for season 5 will be.
MARTINA MARX
The actor playing Riley died. Its been 4 seasons so we can't replace him. We should just end the show right now.
KEVIN FISHER
End the show? No. We can use his death to revitalize our show. We don't have to replace Andrew, but we can replace the character Riley with another hot actor. It'll be fun and we'll get more viewers.
MARTINA MARX
A lot of that seems very disrespectful.
KEVIN FISHER
We can't just end "Riley's World." Do you know how many kids look to our show?
MARTINA MARX
Then let them watch reruns of "Saved by the Bell." Or even better, reruns of "Facts of Life."
KEVIN FISHER
The facts of what?
JOSHUA GREEN
It's not a bad idea to continue on with the show, if we're respectful to his death. "8 Simple Rules" dealt with the death of their star. "8 is Enough" did the same.
MARTINA MARX
Do you think 8 is just a cursed number?
KEVIN FISHER
I don't know any of those shows, but his death means that our show can rise from being mediocre to being fantastic. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.
MARTINA MARX
What are you talking about?
KEVIN FISHER
We're going to kill Riley, in "Riley's World."
MARTINA MARX
Are we going to change the title at least?
KEVIN FISHER
No.
MARTINA MARX
Yeah. Who's going to notice?
Scene - Set of Riley's World
A set of a beach house. AJ BAILEY and DAVID REAVES are on the couch. AJ BAILEY is wearing a nice suit. DAVID REAVES is wearing beach gear.
AJ BAILEY
How is she doing?
DAVID REAVES
I think she's fine. She wasn't really his girlfriend. She just played it on TV.
AJ BAILEY
I don't know. You read enough tabloids and you've got to start wondering. Plus their scenes together where so honest.
KIM enters wearing something really slutty. She is accompanied by KELLY who is wearing something very Audrey Hepburn-esque.
KIM HIGGINGS
Kelly's a really good actor.
AJ BAILEY
Kelly? Are you okay?
KELLY CROWLEY
Yeah. I'm fine.
KELLY exits. AJ follows her.
KIM HIGGINGS
Why is she worried? If the show ends because of Andrew's death, she still has a career. I'm stuck playing the best friend in every rom com. If I'm lucky.
DAVID REAVES
What's wrong Kim? Dancing with the Stars stopped returning your calls?
KIM HIGGINS
Shut up David. You'll be out of a job too. You're just the comic relief on here. No one will ever take you seriously as an actor.
DAVID REAVES
I don't care right now. Andrew died and it sucks. For us. His friends.
Scene - Set of Riley's World 2
KELLY is crying on AJ's shoulder. MARTINA enters.
MARTINA MARX
Kelly, can I have a moment?
KELLY CROWLEY
Sure Martina.
AJ BAILEY
I'm around okay?
AJ exits.
MARTINA MARX
How are you feeling?
KELLY CROWLEY
Confused.
KELLY starts to tear up.
MARTINA MARX
Honey it's okay.
KELLY CROWLEY
We were supposed to go out that night.
MARTINA MARX
Let it out Kelly. Let it out.
KEVIN and JOSHUA enter with zest.
KEVIN FISHER
No wait, save it for the cameras. We have the newest script right here.
JOSHUA holds up the script.
MARTINA MARX
I thought we were still discussing it?
KEVIN FISHER
Blah blah blah. Here it is.
KEVIN takes the script from JOSHUA and hands it to KELLY. AJ, KIM and DAVID enter.
KEVIN FISHER
The first script to deal with the death of our main character, Riley Johnson.
KELLY CROWLEY
So we're killing him off?
KEVIN FISHER
Yes. Now we're going to start filming soon. I want to see all of us here bright and early tomorrow.
Scene - Riley's World
The Beach Set. MAX and PENNY are somber on the couch. MAX is wearing a very skimpy bathing suit. PENNY is wearing a very modest sundress. GINA enters in a bikini.
GINA/KELLY CROWLEY
Penny. Are you ready? Penny? Max? What's going on.
MAX/DAVID REAVES
Gina. I think you should sit down.
GINA/KELLY CROWLEY
I don't want to sit. What's going on? Penny what's wrong? Where's Riley?
MAX/DAVID REAVES
Gina. Riley died last night.
GINA/KELLY CROWLEY
What?
MAX/DAVID REAVES
He was on his way home from Cafe Charlie's. A drunk driver hit him.
GINA/KELLY CROWLEY
No.
PENNY/KIM HIGGINS
Gina, he's dead.
GINA/KELLY CROWLEY
No, why. Why.
MARTINA enters, followed by AJ (in speedos), KEVIN and JOSHUA. MARTINA puts a jacket on KELLY. KELLY covers up.
MARTINA MARX
Okay, cut. Cut.
KELLY CROWLEY
Martina I'm sorry.
MARTINA MARX
No honey, it's not you. Kevin, this is wrong.
KEVIN FISHER
You're right.
MARTINA MARX
I am?
KIM HIGGINS
She is.
KEVIN FISHER
Joshua. Help me with this rewrite.
MARTINA MARX
Rewrite?
KEVIN and JOSHUA exit.
KELLY CROWLEY
Martina I don't know how I feel about this?
KIM HIGGINS
Me neither. I was okay with it at first because it meant I still had a job, but I don't like seeing anyone cry like that. It's real. And it makes me want to cry. I don't want to cry. Not for him.
MARTIN
Kim? What do you mean?
KIM HIGGINS
Well since he's dead. I guess I can talk about this now. Riley... Andrew and I... we were hooking up.
KELLY CROWLEY
Kim...
KIM HIGGINS
Save it Kelly. You were the one for him. It was always you.
KELLY CROWLEY
Kim. He wasn't the one for me.
KIM HIGGINS
Yeah?
KELLY CROWLEY
The night he died. We were supposed to meet. I was going to break up with him.
KIM HIGGINS
He told me he was gonna ask you to marry him.
KELLY CROWLEY
Look at us. Look at all of us. We lost a friend. This show, is not worth it.
AJ BAILEY
If you walk, I walk.
KIM takes KELLY's hand. They walk off with AJ. They stop and look at DAVID.
MARTINA MARX
David?
DAVID REAVES
Andrew wouldn't want it any other way.
DAVid starts to exit with the others.
KIM HIGGINS
Andrew would've wanted to live to see your ass get fired.
MARTINA is left alone onstage. KEVIN and JOSHUA re-enter with scripts.
KEVIN FISHER
Okay kids. We got a rewrite. Now he does of alcohol poisoning. Where did everyone go?
MARTINA MARX
Kevin. It's over.
KEVIN FISHER
Joshua. Wait. What about the show?
JOSHUA GREEN
That's life I guess.
END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun