- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 31 - The Goodhearts
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 30 - Fanning the Flames
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 29 - After Ever After
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 28 - The New Girl in Tow...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 27 - Yesterday Once More...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 26 - Date with the Queen...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 25 - Quest for the Stars...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 24 - Adam4Steve
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 23 - Casting
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 22 - Riley's World
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 21 - Madness of the Hatt...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 20 - Rebellious Holidays...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 19 - The Princess Quest
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 18 - A Boy Named Jordy
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 17 - Hey Old Friend
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 16 - Feminist Storytime
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 15 - Mister Sister
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 14 - Gambino
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 13 - Misfit Toys
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 12 - Dead Teenagers
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 11 - Sisters and Their B...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 10 - Lorina by the Brook...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 9 - ...for the Ninth Tim...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 8 - Theo
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 7 - The Princess and the...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 6 - The First Time(s) We...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 5 - I Wanna Be Loved By ...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 4 - Cinderella at Comic ...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 3: Dorothy and Alice
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 2 - 10 Years Later...
- 31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 1 - Romeo and Juliet 2
- ▼ August (31)
- ► 2012 (18)
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 5 - I Wanna Be Loved By You
I WANNA BE LOVED BY YOU
A bare vaudeville stage. A man in a dapper suit
comes on and takes center stage. He is outrageous.
Ladies and gentlemen. You know her from stage and
screen. From media coverage. She brought world famous
animator Max Fleishcer to courts for peets sake for
borrowing her look and vocal styling. She sued Betty
Boop. Please give a huge round of applause to the
original boop oop ee doop girl... Helen Kane!
DAN exits as HELEN takes center stage and performs
"You'd Be Surprised." At the end of the song,
audience members approach the stage with autograph
books and pens.
Miss Kane, please sign my book.
She sounds just like Betty doesn't she?
I like Betty better.
You would oogle a cartoon girl.
FAN 2 (TO HELEN)
Are you the real Betty Boop?
HELEN (IN GOOD HUMOR)
No, but I'm the real Helen Kane.
DAN enters and shoos the FANS away.
Thank you everyone, but Miss Kane has to go now. She
has other engagements.
Bye everyone. Thank you so much for coming. (to DAN) I
have other engagements Dan?
It makes you look less available to the fans. Then they
want to come back for more shows because they think you
have prior commitments. It's like playing hard to get.
DAN and HELEN start cleaning up the stage and
theater space throughout their dialogue.
The ones that are hard to get are supposed to play hard
to get. I'm lucky if I have a meal ticket the next day.
I'm trying my best Helen, but ever since that Betty
Boop dame came out, it's been hard to sell ya.
I know, that's why I took those animators to court, and
I lost. How can I lose, to a parody of myself? I'm so
tired of playing second banana to a cartoon character.
Betty Boop, is a satire, of me... how can no one see
Because she's bigger than life Helen.
And she's my competition. I used to sell out at big
concerts. I used to be in pictures. I was somebody. Now
I'm Betty Boop's second fiddle.
The place is cleaner than before now.
I'm going out for a drink, you want to join me?
I could use one, but it's okay. I have some numbers to
practice for tomorrow night's show. Better do it now
while I'm restless.
Okay, lock up when you're done okay.
DAN throws the keys to HELEN which she catches.
HELEN (HOLDING UP THE KEYS. SARCASTIC)
The life of a true star.
HELEN starts to wander the stage. She stands on
the far stage right and looks out into the lights.
Betty Boop's second fiddle.
BETTY BOOP appears center stage all of a sudden in
all her black and white 2D animated glory.
That's not what the public thinks. Boop oop ee doop.
Don't you dare say that.
I always say that.
I have nothing against you personally. You're a cartoon
character and I want my career back.
I didn't take your career. Times are moving forward and
you're falling behind. Boop oop ee doop.
Stop it. Don't say that. I made that.
According the courts, I'm the one that made it famouse.
I made it famous first.
First worst, second best. I'm everywhere Helen. You
can't get rid of me.
You're right. Why do you get the fame? Why do you steal
my fame? You're just a drawing.
You're wrong. I'm the dream of thousands. I bring
Without me, there'd be no you.
But there will always be a Betty.
BETTY BOOP slowly fades.
What will happen to me?
Same stage as before. DAN is getting ready on the
side to announce HELEN, but HELEN stops him.
I just want to say thank you.
Okay. You're welcome.
HELEN exits to get ready. DAN approaches center
DAN (TO AUDIENCE)
Ladies and gentlement, if you loved Betty Boop, you
will love this singer just as much, if not more.
Without her, there would be no Boop oop ee doop. Let's
give a round of applause to the one and only Helen
HELEN enters and performs "I Owe You." After her
song, fans get onstage with autograph books and
You were wonderful Miss Kane.
Thank you so much.
FAN 5 (TO FAN 6)
She really does sound like her.
Are you really Betty Boop?
No, but I find she and I have much in common.
HELEN faces the audience and starts to perform "I
Wanna Be Loved By You." DAN and THE FANS join her
and it ends with HELEN and BETTY having a dual at
the end of the song with their Boop Oop Eee Doops.
The dual ends with applause as both BETTY and
HELEN take a bow.