youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Friday, August 16, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 16 - Feminist Storytime

FEMINIST STORYTIME
Scene - The Living Room
Interior. Night. DANNY is on the couch watching TV when RACHEL enters from a night on the town. She is tired.
DANNY
Hey there.
RACHEL
Hi.
DANNY
How was your date?
RACHEL
I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me.
DANNY
Why do you say that?
RACHEL
I just can't seem to find a man. At first I was thinking that maybe I'm just finding the wrong guys, but that's a lot of wrong guys if that's true.
DANNY
Oh hun. You'll be fine. I have to get going. I have a date too.
RACHEL
With who?
DANNY
A certain Mr. Right. 
RACHEL
How was Ana.
DANNY
She was an angel. I told her some bedtime stories but she's still awake. She wanted to wait up for you.
RACHEL
Still awake? I hope she didn't catch my insomnia. I haven't been able to sleep in days. Oh okay. Thank you Danny.
DANNY holds his hand out.
RACHEL
What?
DANNY
Babysitting is not a free gig, and I'm treating Mr. Right.
RACHEL
Interesting. Tell my brother I said hi.
RACHEL hands DANNY 40 bucks.
DANNY
Good night Rachel.
DANNY exits. RACHEL goes to:
Scene - Ana's Room
ANA is in bed with a stack of books on a vanity table next to the head of her bed. RACHEL enters.
ANA
Hi mommy.
RACHEL
Hi sweetie. Are you all ready for bed?
RACHEL starts to tuck ANA in.
ANA
Mommy, can you tell me a story?
RACHEL
Sure sweetie. 
ANA hands RACHEL a book of fairy tales. 
RACHEL
Fairy Tales?
ANA
Yeah, I love Fairy Tales. Uncle Danny reads them too me all the time.
RACHEL sits on the bed near Ana, flips through the book, and puts it back on the stack. 
RACHEL
I don't know hun. Some of the girls in these stories aren't the best role models.
ANA
What does that mean?
RACHEL
It means that I don't want you to be like any of these girls.
ANA
Why?
RACHEL
Because they're not very smart.
ANA
I think they are.
RACHEL
And who is your favorite princess?
ANA
Little Red Riding Hood.
RACHEL
She's not a princess.
ANA
All girls are princesses. Uncle Danny calls me a princess.
RACHEL
Okay. So why Little Red Riding Hood?
ANA
Because she defeated the big bad wolf with the help of the Red Riders.
RACHEL
What?
ANA
Don't you know the story of Little Red Riding Hood.
RACHEL
I thought I did. 
ANA
Little Red goes into her grandmother's cottage and see's the big bad wolf in a horrible grandmother disguise, so she buys time until her friends The Red Riders come in and defeat the big bad wolf and the Red Riders are Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella and Gretel. 
RACHEL
Really?
ANA
Yeah, and they defeat the wolf, save grandma, and they all live happily ever after, fighting crime.
RACHEL is at this point intrigued and lying down excited on the bed near ANA.
RACHEL
That is an exciting story. What else do you have?
ANA
The story of The Little Mermaid.
RACHEL
Please tell it.
ANA
The Little Mermaid falls in love with a human so she changes her body to meet him. She realizes that she shouldn't have to change for anyone and tries to convince the prince to join her in the ocean, but he doesn't want to change either, so The Little Mermaid goes back home and realizes that finding a man isn't the most important thing.
RACHEL is practically asleep.
RACHEL
I really like that.
ANA
But it doesn't mean she'll never fall in love. It just means that he wasn't the one. She needs to wait. He's out there.
RACHEL is asleep. ANA puts the comforter over her mother, kisses her on the cheek, and snuggles up next to her.
RACHEL
Good night mom.
END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun