youtube.com/edcaoartist

Blog Archive

Monday, August 26, 2013

31 Plays in 31 Days - Day 26 - Date with the Queen Bee

DATE WITH THE QUEEN BEE
Scene - Jenny's Hair Love
SHEERA enters from the back as PUDDING does LATOYA's hair and DRAKE works the front desk.
SHEERA
Has anyone seen Jennifer?
PUDDING
She hasn't come in. I heard she didn't even come home.
DRAKE
How could you possibly know that.
PUDDING
Because Donnie told Flo and Flo told Britney and Britney told Harry and Harry told LaToya...
LATOYA
Holla HAYY
PUDDING
...and LaToya told me.
DRAKE
My brain just exploded.
PUDDING
Mop it up drama queen.
JENNIFER enters. She doesn't look too good.
SHEERA
Oh look, here she is. 
PUDDING
Jennifer?
LATOYA
Are you okay?
JENNIFER
Oh yeah. I'm fine.
SHEERA
Could've fooled me.
LATOYA
Girl are you drunk?
JENNIFER
Oh yeah.
PUDDING
Was your date with the queen bee a disaster?
JENNIFER
Of epic proportions.
PUDDING
Oh hells.... 
JENNIFER
She picked me up, we went to the party, and it was High School all over again. She had the same friends, the same attitude. The mean girls, they were still mean girls, and it was sad.
SHEERA
I'm sorry Jen. I know you wanted it work out.
JENNIFER
I don't think I really did. I'm not the same person I was in High School. I'm not that girl who worshipped the ground she walked on. I'm better than that.
LATOYA
You sure are. So who cares if the Queen Bee is still hot, sexy and in control...
DRAKE
LaToya.
LATOYA
Girl, you are better than that.
JENNIFER
Damn straight. I think I'm gonna vomit.
JENNIFER gags and runs to the bathroom outback.
SHEERA
You better run I just changed the carpet!!!
DRAKE 
She looked a mess.
LATOYA
She was a mess.
PUDDING
I'm hungry who wants some mexican.
CLAIRE enters.
CLAIRE
Hi ladies. And Pudding.
PUDDING/DRAKE
Oh hells...
SHEERA
Can I help you Claire.
CLAIRE
Is Jennifer here. I was trying to see her at her place, but no one was home.
SHEERA
Yes, she's out back getting pretty for today's work.
JENNIFER (OFFSTAGE)
Oh my God. I slipped and missed.
SHEERA
I'll be right back. 
SHEERA goes outback. CLAIRE has an awkward silent moment with PUDDING, DRAKE and LATOYA. JENNIFER enters with a bruise on her head, and wet from water.
JENNIFER
Hello Claire.
CLAIRE
Oh my God Jennifer. 
JENNIFER
What?
CLAIRE
You look horrible.
JENNIFER
Nice. Is that residual teasing from last night's event with your coven of bitches?
CLAIRE
Look, I can't control what my friends do?
JENNIFER
Why would you want to be around people who treat others like that?
CLAIRE
Jennifer they're my friends, you know that.
JENNIFER
If that's who you want to be associated with, why the hell would I want to be around you?
CLAIRE
Because you like me.
JENNIFER
I did like you, but that was when I was a teenager. I'm a grown woman now. I wish I could say the same for you.
CLAIRE
I came here to apologize to you. I don't want to anymore.
JENNIFER
Oh please. Allow me to apologize. I'm sorry I ever liked a shallow bitch like you.
SHEERA gets in the middle of CLAIRE and JENNIFER.
SHEERA 
Whoa ladies, none of that.
CLAIRE exits. JENNIFER goes outback. Pause. And then:
LATOYA
That was some L Word bullshit.
Lights out. Lights back on. SHEERA and JENNIFER are cleaning up.
SHEERA
Can I expect you to come in on time tomorrow?
JENNIFER
Yes I'm sorry. You know I'm the owner of this salon right?
SHEERA
You own it, I run it.
JENNIFER
We're a good team aren't we?
SHEERA
You feeling better about that whole Claire situation.
JENNIFER
Yeah. I guess I was just trying to relive a high school fantasy. You can't always go back though, can you?
SHEERA
No. But sure is fun.
They laugh.
SHEERA
Come on girl. LaToya just text me. She said everyone's at Marla's.
JENNIFER
Good. I could use a drink. With friends. Real friends.
They exit.
END


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Some Fun